Membership of the Carceral Geography Working Group of the RGS-IBG is open to all. This includes existing and prospective Members/Fellows of the RGS-IBG, as well as non-members. To join, please complete our membership form.
Benefits of membership
Membership of the CGWG gives access to the following benefits and opportunities:
- Join a collegiate community of over 200 members worldwide from a variety of academic disciplines and non-academic backgrounds, including those working for NGOs and in the custodial sector.
- Get advance notification of CGWG news via our mailing list, including upcoming events dedicated to carceral research; calls for conference papers and publication collaboration; and funding, employment and training opportunities.
- Use our mailing list to share details of your individual news and activities.
- Add your personal biography to our website, to develop academic visibility and promote community-building.
- Vote at our Annual General Meeting and help to shape strategies for CGWG activities, including the direction, content and ethos of dedicated CGWG events and the day-to-day organisation of the working group.
- Become eligible for roles in the CGWG Committee and/or to join the Advisory Board.
- Apply for funding opportunities offered by the CGWG, such as RGS conference guest passes or travel bursaries to the International Conference for Carceral Geography. (Other specific eligibility criteria may apply, such as geographical location, institutional affiliation and/or career stage.)
Join CGWG today
- Existing RGS-IBG Fellows/Members:
Please complete the RGS Research Groups Membership Form; tick the box for the ‘Carceral Geography Working Group’ and return by email to email@example.com (or just email this address with your request to join). You will need your RGS-IBG membership number, which can be supplied to you if necessary.
- Existing members of the American Association of Geographers or the Canadian Association of Geographers:
There are discounted reciprocal membership arrangements for the RGS-IBG – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Non-RGS-IBG members who are geographers:
Please consider joining the RGS to support its activities and those of the CGWG. It’s critical for the CGWG to maintain a minimum number of members paying the RGS-IBG subscription, so please do consider supporting the RGS-IBG and CGWG in this way.
- Non-RGS-IBG members who are not geographers: You are of course very welcome to join the RGS-IBG and by extension the CGWG! However, you can also join the CGWG without joining RGS-IBG; please complete the form below or email email@example.com
Membership of RGS-IBG
The RGS Research Committee was able to approve formation of the CGWG because more than 20 paid members of the RGS-IBG were in support. Continued existence of the CGWG will depend on maintaining this level of support, and membership will be reviewed regularly.
While there is therefore no need to join the RGS-IBG to join the CGWG, in terms of supporting its standing as an RGS-IBG Working Group, this would be very helpful. Please do consider it if you can, and if appropriate.